Association meeting held in the media room of the Columbus Civic Center, 400 4th Street, Columbus, GA 31901.
1. The President, called the meeting to order at 6:06 pm.
2. Members/Guest in attendance: 15
3. Administration Notes:
- CHA Season review
- We saw a lot of growth and a lot of success this year with 2 Teams (Squirts & Bantam) participating in the Southern Youth Travel hockey League (SYTHL).
- Mites had a strong house and travel season.
- We were short for peewee house this year but the Major house league saw some success, providing our house players with a place to play.
- 90 new families from the Learn to Play Program with multiple families moving from the LTP to the house league.
- Two Leagues this year in the CHA four the Adult League.
4. Financial Report:
- The checking account starting balance for March is $46,889.33. Ending balance is $22,930.41. The PayPal beginning balance was $33,173.83 and ending balance was $38,402.43.
- Financial Oversight Committee signed the financials
5. Discussion about last season:
- Issues with Registration and Payment Plans, recommendations for improvement:
- Lack of all required paperwork at point of contact. Need to better illustrate the need to have all paperwork, i.e. consent to treat, copy of birth certificate, etc, to be turned in with registration.
- Payment plans lacked follow through with members. Better follow through and communication with sense of urgency to be expected this coming season.
- Looking into software to possibly replace goalline for our website, registration, financial and statistical needs.
- Will look into the placement of an onsite file cabinet for our pertinent player paperwork, i.e. consent to treat form, baseline testing form, etc.
- Membership will receive a form of F.A.Q. as well as a handbook about our association in the coming season.
- Issues with House League, recommendations for improvement:
- More emphasis on membership volunteering. Require each family volunteer 1 hour a month for a total of 6 hour requirement for volunteering. Maybe incorporate a monetary deposit that will be returned at the end of the season upon completion of required volunteer time.
- Coaches and managers need to better verify player numbers for accurate reflection in the statistics. Perhaps assign numbers to players prior to start of season. Produce rosters showing player, number, coach and manager.
- Look into the addition of TV monitors in the ice rink commons area to better inform members of locker room assignments, game times, etc.
- Create a house league for Bantam and up age groups. Will include pre registration for those groups on the website to better gauge the numbers available.
- Include time at the beginning of the season for team/player evaluation in order to better gauge the overall balance of the league.
- Advertise more to area school systems about the presence of hockey in the Chattahoochee Valley.
- Issues with Travel League, recommendations for improvements:
- Would like to see every effort made for travel teams to travel together as an association.
- Good reviews from participants of the SYTHL travel teams.
- Would like to see more off-ice conditioning for the travel teams at all levels.
- Issues with Adult League, recommendations for improvements:Coordinate with Ft. Benning MWR to possibly help fund player fees for more players from Ft. Benning to participate in the adult league.
- Issues with Try Hockey for Free, recommendations for improvements:
- More efficient method of sizing players at our LTP Program. Pro shop will provide a foot sizing tool. Assembly line style of issuing player equipment.
- Will look into implementing a THFF for adults and teens.
6. Open Discussion:
- Would like to see video cameras on ice for player and referee development as well as safety purposes.
- Would like to see an equipment room lock box placed in order to deposit checks safely.
- Maybe the CHA should reach out to civic organizations to recruit volunteers.
- The Columbus Cottonmouths were more involved in seasons past and would like to see more player involvement with the association.
- Can the CHA look into the procurement of a grant writer in order to obtain particular grants that might be available for our association?
- Can the association provide more information for players looking to extend their playing career past the CHA, i.e. Jr Hockey, college, etc?
7. A motion to adjourn the meeting at 7:15 pm was made by Ted Runci, 2nd by Tracy Pattillo and accepted by all. The Next CHA Board Meeting is scheduled for 6:30 pm on Tuesday, April 21, 2015 in the Media Room of the Columbus Civic Center.
8. Point of contact for Meeting minutes compiled by Barney Slayton, Secretary.
CLYDE A. GLENN
Columbus Hockey Association
Membership Meeting Attendance